You will love the simplicity and the nutty flavor of these Easy Italian Whole Wheat Honey Breakfast Cookies. As an added bonus, these healthy cookies hold up perfectly when dunked in your hot beverage of choice.
These wholesome cookies have quickly become one of my favorites. I use the word wholesome because they are made entirely with whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour provides more fiber when compared to white flour. This is due to the fact that whole wheat flour includes the bran, the germ, and the endosperm of the wheat grain. White flour only contains the endosperm. Less processing also means the retention of naturally occurring vitamins like folate and riboflavin. Make sure to use 100% whole-wheat flour (if you are looking for a Quick Whole Wheat Honey Bread recipe, make sure to click on the link).
As was mentioned, these cookies are simple to make and they come together in no time at all. There is however a waiting period of at least 30 minutes. Not only will this allow for easier manipulation when rolling out the dough, but according to this article in the Kitchn, this rest period will allow the bran and the germ to hydrate and soften a little. But I am getting ahead of myself, let me show you how this recipe comes together.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and the honey, followed by the rest of the liquids. Then, it is just a matter of adding the whole wheat flour, baking powder and orange zest until the mixture comes together.
Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
With the help of a rolling pin, roll out the dough, on a floured surface, ¼ inch thick. If you prefer crispy cookies, roll your dough thinner, if you prefer softer cookies, roll your dough thicker. As far as the shape is concerned, you can cut them into any shape you want. Be sure to re-roll the scrapes until all the dough is used… you do not want to waste any of the dough 🙂
In case you are wondering, the little indentations were created by gently pressing the top of the cookie with a meat pounder. Totally optional, but I find they give these Easy Italian Whole Wheat Honey Breakfast Cookies a special look.
The cookies need to bake for about 12-15 minutes. If you prefer crispy, keep them in the oven a few minutes longer. Remember, to keep an eye on them as they will quickly burn.
Once the cookies are removed from the oven, they crisp up nicely as they cool down.
You have just made yourself a batch of these wonderful Easy Italian Whole Wheat Honey Breakfast Cookies.
Origin of the recipe for Easy Italian Whole Wheat Honey Breakfast Cookies:
This recipe has been floating around the internet since 2013. I’ve had it bookmarked for a couple of years and I am happy that I finally got a chance to make it. It has quickly become one of my go to “grab and go” breakfast cookies. They are also great as a snack. As a lover of all things citrus, the only change I made was to add a little orange zest.
Simple to make, wholesome and a great dunking cookie! Hope you get a chance to try these Easy Italian Whole Wheat Honey Breakfast Cookies.
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and honey.
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract and continue to whisk.
- Add the whole wheat flour, baking powder and orange zest and combine with the help of a mixing spatula.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to roll out the dough, preheat the oven to 375℉ (190°C). Position rack to middle.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Use any cookie cutter to cut out shapes from the dough. Re-roll scrapes.
- Place about ½ inch apart on parchment-lined cookie sheet and gently press down with to flatten slightly with a meat pounder (optional).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes or so before transferring to a rack.
Thanks for dropping by,
Ciao for now!