It’s almost that time of the year, where I can smell the bushels of peppers being barbecued in my neighborhood. It’s time to make this recipe for Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers.
Simply roast (or barbecue), peel & slice your peppers. Drizzle some olive oil, add minced garlic, chopped up flat leaf parsley, salt & pepper to taste and marinate. It’s really that easy. Don’t believe me? Here, I’ll show you…
Wash and dry your peppers. Place them on their sides on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in upper third of oven heated to 450°F (230°C) until skin is completely charred and the flesh is soft (alternatively, you can use the barbecue.) Make sure you turn the peppers, allowing all sides to get black and blistered. Notice how the peppers will also collapse in on themselves. This can take about 1 hour. Warning: the scent of roasting peppers is absolutely amazing!
While the peppers are roasting, combine the ingredients for the marinade.
Once the peppers are done, carefully transfer to a heatproof bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
When cool enough to handle, remove stems and charred skins. Cut peppers in half to remove the seeds and then cut in long strips. Place in the bowl with the marinade, along with any juices which have escaped the peppers. This can get a little messy but please, promise me you will not run the pepper under water to speed up the process. You will thank me later.
Toss gently and voilà! You have just seen how easy it is to make roasted bell peppers and one of my favorite recipes to enjoy that smoky natural sweetness, Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers.
If you do not plan to use your roasted bell peppers right away, the strips can be frozen in plastic bags (Ziploc). They can then be used in the middle of winter to make a wonderful fregola salad, like I do. 🙂
ORIGINS OF THE RECIPE FOR Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers :
Once again, I return to the food of my childhood and I have my mom to thank for this simple recipe for Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers. My mom would always have a dish of peppers marinating in her fridge. They would be eaten on their own, snuggled in a sandwich, used in salads or most often used as a topping for the homemade pizzas. They are also great as an appetizer, served with slices of crusty bread.
Take one bite -just one, sit back and savor the simple goodness of this recipe for Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers. Hope you are all able to take advantage and enjoy the rest of the summer!
- 3 whole bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C)
- Wash and dry your peppers and place them on their side on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast in upper third of oven heated to 450°F (230°C) until skin is completely charred and the flesh is soft (alternately, you can use the barbecue.) Make sure you turn the peppers allowing all sides to get black and blistered. This can take between 45-60 minutes.
- While the peppers are roasting, combine the ingredients for the marinade.
- Once the peppers are done, transfer to a heatproof bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, remove stems and charred skins. Cut peppers in half to remove the seeds and then cut in long strips. Do not rinse your peppers under running water.
- Combine with marinade and toss gently together.
- Allow to sit for a few hours for the flavors to mingle together. Can be served at room temperature.
- Can also be refrigerated for up to a week
Thanks for dropping by.
Ciao for now!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT TO YOUR SIDE DISH AND VEGETABLES BOARD!
Follow She Loves Biscotti for more simple and healthy recipes 🙂