Every once in a while, I get in the mood for dark chocolate. And when that dark chocolate urge takes over, nothing hits the spot like these dark Chocolate Cocoa Espresso Cupcakes.
You must already be thinking that any recipe that combines dark chocolate, cocoa powder and espresso coffee has got to be good, right? I’m here to assure you that it is. I’m also here to assure you that this is not a tooth-achingly sweet recipe. In my opinion, this moist cupcake has the perfect balance of sweetness and dark chocolatey goodness.
I’ve often been asked what the difference is between a muffin and a cupcake. Well, for starters, as the name indicates, cupcakes are cakes, albeit small, but still basically a cake. Usually, you can expect a lighter and fluffier texture when compared to a muffin, which tends to be slightly denser. The difference is caused by the way the ingredients are incorporated. Muffin recipes combine all the liquid in one bowl; all the dry in another bowl and in theory you mix only until these two are combined. (remember it’s a type of quick bread). In a cupcake recipe, the fat source (usually butter) needs to be well incorporated with the sugar and eggs before the addition of the dry ingredients. This is usually done with the help of an electric beater or a stand mixer.
Origins of the recipe for the Chocolate Cocoa Espresso Cupcakes:
I’ve adapted this recipe from a Canadian magazine called Homemakers. I’ve already shared two wonderful recipes from this magazine which unfortunately is no longer in publication. (Creamy Rice Pudding and Buttermilk Pancakes.)
When combined, dark chocolate, cocoa powder and espresso coffee will provide you with great-tasting, guilt-free cupcakes. Make them, so that you’re prepared for that mood.
Chocolate Cocoa Espresso Cupcakes
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup -1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup espresso coffee room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup oil vegetable or canola
- 3 oz chocolate 70% dark chocolate, melted and slightly cooled down
- Preheat oven to 350℉(180°C). Position rack to middle.
- Paper line 12 muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and coffee. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with a hand held beater, beat together sugar, egg and oil until smooth and light.
- Whisk in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk mixture. (You should be able to make 3 additions of flour with 2 additions of buttermilk.)
- Stir in 2/3 of the melted chocolate with a wooden spoon.
- Fill muffin liners ¾ full.
- Bake in the center of preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before drizzling with remaining chocolate on tops.
Thanks for dropping by.
Ciao for now!