Homemade Chunky Applesauce
A small batch, stove top Homemade Chunky Applesauce recipe made with only 3 ingredients, Choose the best apples for applesauce to eliminate the need for sugar!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 4 fresh apples peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
- ¼-½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg optional
In a medium saucepan, combine apples and water. (There should be just enough water to cover the bottom of your pan).
Cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for approximately 10 minutes. Stir occasionally and make sure that there is always a thin layer of water at the bottom of your pan.
Add cinnamon (and nutmeg if using) and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or so. Once the mixture has softened, you can mash the mixture with a fork or a potato masher, until your desired consistency is achieved. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender for a smoother consistency.
Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided below is just a rough estimate and variations can occur depending on the specific ingredients used.
- Use a mixture of sweet and tart apples. Different apples provide different flavors and are the basis for making an unsweetened applesauce recipe.
- Ensure there is a thin layer of water at the bottom of the pan. This prevents scorching.
- Applesauce can be kept refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, etc...
- 1 portion is 1/2 cup.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 194mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.2mg