Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
This Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. Once you taste the difference of your own pizza sauce from scratch, you'll be hooked!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 3 cups
- 28 ounce San Marzano tomatoes 796 mL, whole peeled tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 fresh garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley fresh, minced
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
In a medium bowl, empty the contents of the can of tomatoes. Hand crush the tomatoes.
Add the rest of the ingredients and combine.
Allow to sit for about 30 minutes for the flavors to combine.
Discard bay leaf when ready to use the pizza sauce.
What does DOP stand for? DOP is short for Denominazione di Origine Protetta. This certification guarantees that products, like canned tomatoes, are locally grown and packaged. There is a great article on Serious Eats about the DOP tomato.
Why use DOP San Marzano tomatoes? These tomatoes are sweet and the quality is consistent.
How long can I keep this pizza sauce? Unused pizza sauce can be refrigerated for up to three days or frozen for up to 3 months.
What's the difference between Pizza Sauce and Marinara Sauce? Classic Marinara Sauce is cooked, whereas pizza sauce is not pre-cooked. It will cook just a little when the pizza is being baked in the oven.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided below is just a rough estimate and variations can occur depending on the specific ingredients used.
- If available in your region, make sure to purchase canned tomatoes which have been certified DOP.
- Allow the ingredients to meld together at room temperature for at least 30 minutes This time improves the overall flavor of the sauce.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 47kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 196mg | Potassium: 15mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 225IU | Vitamin C: 4.2mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 0.4mg