Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce
With only four ingredients, you can make this simple and tasty Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce. What a wonderful way to preserve your bumper crop of cherry tomatoes!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 6 servings
- 2.2 pounds cherry tomatoes about 1 kilo
- 4-6 cloves garlic fresh, chopped
- 4 tablespoons oregano fresh, minced
- ½ cup olive oil extra virgin
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Rinse cherry tomatoes and pat dry with a tea towel.
Slice cherry tomatoes in half and place in a large bowl.
Add the minced garlic, oregano, olive oil and toss together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet and spread cherry tomatoes in an even layer.
Bake in the oven for about 45-60 minutes until they begin to soften and begin to caramelize.
Can be used as is or use blender for a creamier version.
How many cups of sauce does this recipe make? Roasting one kilo of cherry tomatoes (that's approximately 2.2 pounds) will provide you with three cups of pureed tomato sauce.
Can I freeze this cherry tomato sauce? Yes, simply divide the sauce using ice-cube trays. Once frozen, transfer the cubes in freezer bags. Or place a larger amount directly in freezer bags. Lay flat in the freezer and freeze.
What to do with frozen cherry tomatoes? They are great to use as flavor booster in soups and stews; they make a great pasta sauce or simply use as a topping for bruschetta, pizza or even grilled chicken.
Total Yield of recipe is 3 cups. A serving is calculated as 1/2 cup.
- Extend the parchment paper over to the sides. The cherry tomatoes will release a lot of liquid so we do not want those cooking juices to escape.
- Use a large mixing bowl to toss all the ingredients together. This will ensure the cherry tomatoes are evenly coated with the olive oil and herbs.
- Place in a single layer to optimize roasting. Use a large pan if necessary
- Puree all the liquid. Be sure to include every last drop when pureeing the cherry tomatoes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 412mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 870IU | Vitamin C: 38.5mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 2.5mg