Broccoli Rabe Soup
If you love the distinct taste of rapini, you're going to love this Broccoli Rabe Soup! This vegetarian soup has a creamy, silky texture & it's dairy free.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe previously boiled and drained
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- chili flakes to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth homemade or commercial
- 1 potato grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons milk optional
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook for about 5-7 minutes until softened and translucent.
Add the minced garlic and stir for one minute or so.
Add the previously boiled and drained broccoli rabe and stir fry for a few minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper and chili flakes.
Add the vegetable broth, grated potato and bay leaf. Simmer for 12-15 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat and remove bay leaf. With the help of an immersion blender, puree the soup.
Re-heat the soup and taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Serve soup and garnish with yogurt, milk or a drizzle of olive oil.
- The grated potato is essential in order to give this Broccoli Rabe Soup a creamy texture.
- Garnishing can include olive oil, yogurt or milk. For a little more decadence, cream can be used in moderation.
- This soup is great served with Italian crusty bread.
- Frozen or fresh Broccoli Rabe can be used.
- To transform this bowl of soup into a meal, add some protein in the form of lentils, chick peas or borlotti beans.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided below is just a rough estimate and variations can occur depending on the specific ingredients used.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 32mg | Potassium: 399mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1505IU | Vitamin C: 20.2mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 3mg