Creamy Rice Pudding
Perfectly flavored with a vanilla bean, this extra creamy rice pudding made with arborio rice is the ultimate comfort food. Simplicity at its best.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 4 cups milk I use 2%
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional
- 1/2 vanilla bean seeds scraped or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- cinnamon optional
Combine rice, milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.
Heat until just beginning to boil, stirring often.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for approximately 50 minutes or until thick and creamy. Stir every 10 minutes or so.
Remove from heat.
Gently stir in the scraped vanilla seeds or extract.
Can be served warm, room temperature or chilled.
Can you make rice pudding with cooked rice? Yes, but the end product will not be as creamy or as tasty when comparing it to a rice pudding made from scratch.
Do you refrigerate rice pudding? Yes, once it has cooled down, refrigerate in an air tight container. Consume within 5 days.
Can you freeze rice pudding? Yes, use a freezer friendly container, label and use within a 3 month period.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided below is just a rough estimate and variations can occur depending on the specific ingredients used.
*recipe lightly adapted from Homemakers' Magazine
- The use of 2% milk will result in a healthier version of this rice pudding when compared to using either whole milk or whipping cream.
- The total amount of saturated fat is low when compared to a recipe that includes eggs, whipped cream or even whole milk as part of the ingredients.
- Be patient. Do not increase the heat hoping this will reduce the total cooking time. Go slow and low and you will be rewarded with a wonderful rice pudding.
- In the beginning, be sure to stir the mixture every 10 minutes or so to prevent the milk and rice from scorching.
- During the last 10 minutes, stay close to the pot and keep stirring every few minutes to prevent your rice pudding from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Arborio rice will provide you with the best texture.
- This rice pudding will firm up once it has been chilled. It can easily be returned to its creamy state by adding a few tablespoons of milk, stirring and slightly heating the mixture.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 167mg | Potassium: 227mg | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 265IU | Calcium: 184mg | Iron: 0.8mg