Avocado Pesto Recipe with Cavatelli
This Avocado Pesto recipe is made with avocado, spinach, basil, walnuts and cheese. The perfect creamy sauce to have with cavatelli pasta for a meatless dinner.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound cavatelli pasta I use half of my homemade cavatelli recipe
- 1 cup reserved pasta water or to desired consistency
Avocado Pesto Sauce:
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup spinach leaves fresh
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch basil fresh, about ¼ cup
- ½ cup walnuts lightly toasted
- ¼ cup Pecorino Romano grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Pecorino Romano cheese to taste
- garnish with fresh basil leaves optional
Over high heat, bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
While waiting for the water to boil, make the avocado pesto sauce by adding all the ingredients in a food processor and pulsing until the mixture is smooth.
Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
Transfer to a large skillet set over low heat.
Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente or to desired consistency.
Add pasta water to the avocado pesto sauce to obtain desired consistency.
Once the pasta is cooked, remove with a spider or strainer and add it directly to the pan.
Toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Top with extra cheese and a drizzle of olive oil, if using.
Can I use other nuts? Absolutely! Pecans, almonds, pistachios, or even pine nuts can be used.
Can I make this nut-free? Yes, replace the nuts with roasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Can I make this vegan? Yes, simply replace the cheese with nutritional yeast.
How do I store leftovers? Place in an airtight container and refrigerate. Best used within 1 day.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided below is just a rough estimate and variations can occur depending on the specific ingredients used.
*adapted from Eating Well
- Use any pasta with this sauce.
- This sauce is at its best the day it is made as it quickly turns brown because of the avocado.
- 1 serving = 1½ cups
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 625kcal | Carbohydrates: 92g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 92mg | Potassium: 603mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 908IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 2mg