St. Joseph's Spaghetti Recipe
Spaghetti which has been coated with a mixture of olive oil, breadcrumbs, walnuts, garlic, golden raisins and parsley. Saint Josephs Day Spaghetti recipe.
Servings 4 servings
- 8 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups unseasoned coarse breadcrumbs
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts about 200 grams
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 3/4 cup of golden raisins plumped (about 100 grams)
- 1 pound spaghetti 454 grams (1 package)
- salt to taste
- pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Orange peel optional
In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Sauté the garlic until fragrant, 1-2 minutes (do not brown).
Reduce heat to medium low and add the breadcrumbs.
Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil and combine. Stir together for about 2 minutes (breadcrumbs will get slightly toasted and should absorb the oil).
Add the chopped walnuts and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
Add raisins and parsley. Stir to combine for 1-2 minutes. Set aside. Add up to 1 cup of the cooking water (from the pasta) if the mixture appears to dry.OPTIONAL: Add orange peel and combine with the raisins and parley.
Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente.
Drain the pasta and reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water. Drizzle 2 more tablespoons of olive oil.
In a large serving dish, alternate layers of pasta and bread mixture (top with bread mixture). Note: Remove orange rind if used in the mixture.
Garnish with parsley and drizzle remaining olive oil.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided below is just a rough estimate and variations can occur depending on the specific ingredients used.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of garlic, walnuts and raisins based on personal preference.
- Use a vegetable peeler to get slivers of orange peel.
- This dish is usually served at room temperature.
- If possible, make your own coarse breadcrumbs as the commercial variety is usually too fine.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 1258kcal | Carbohydrates: 135g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 70g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 408mg | Potassium: 801mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 335IU | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 203mg | Iron: 6.4mg