If you like oranges and almonds, I have a wonderful treat for your holiday entertaining! Below, I share an easy recipe for this Glazed Orange Almond Bundt Cake, a cake which provides a wonderfully moist, tender crumb and which is sure to be a hit with all of your guests.
I absolutely love baking with oranges, whether it is the juice, the fruit or the rind. Today, we will be using the entire orange. Any variety of oranges will work in this recipe. I had navel oranges on hand so that is what I used.
I like to remove the outer peel of the orange with a vegetable peeler and then proceed to divide the orange in sections. In this manner, it is easier to remove as much as possible of the white pith of the orange. As you know, the white pith can sometimes be bitter.
Then it is just a matter of pureeing the peel and the orange sections in a food processor. Make sure to remove any seeds before processing your orange.
Once this step is complete, you just need to add the pureed orange to the rest of the wet ingredients and finally combine with the dry ingredients.
You won’t believe the aroma which will permeate your entire kitchen!
Once the cake has cooled, you can dust some icing sugar over the top or you can make a very simple orange glaze.
See, I told you this was going to be easy.
Origins of the recipe for Glazed Orange Almond Bundt Cake:
I just love how easily bundt cakes come together. As a result, I am always on the look out for these kinds of recipes. I have adapted this one from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
As usual, I made a couple of modifications: I replaced some of the flour with ground almonds; reduced the total amount of sugar; and replaced the butter with corn oil. Since I did not have any cake flour, I used all-purpose flour. The resulting Glazed Orange Almond Bundt Cake was still extremely soft and tender.
As far as the icing is concerned, I cut the total amount by half. I think the next time I would only give it a dusting of icing sugar.
If you like desserts with a tangy taste, this Glazed Orange Almond Bundt Cake is for you! Enjoy 🙂
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup coarsely ground almonds (about 50 grams)
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 orange (skin and pulp) pureed
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoonS orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ (175°C) .
- Grease and flour (or use non-stick spray) a 10-inch bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add the ground almonds; whisk together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (of stand mixer) beat the eggs on high speed for about 3 minutes (eggs will become thick).
- Gradually add the sugar and continue beating for another 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce speed and add oil, buttermilk and pureed orange.
- Add dry ingredients and beat only until combined.
- Bake in a 350℉ (175°C) oven for 45-55 minutes or until cake tester comes out dry.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the bundt pan for about 10 minutes.
- Invert cake on a wire rack and allow to cool completely before glazing.
- Whisk together all the ingredients,
- Pour glaze over cake.
Thanks for dropping by,
Ciao for now!