It was love at first sight! From the moment I saw these Glazed Yogurt Carrot Cookies, I knew they would be a hit with family and friends.
These carrot cookies are really easy to make! They are super moist and they are just perfect with a cool glass of milk. Personally, I prefer my cookies without icing… I did however make a light glaze this time to accommodate certain cookie monsters in my family 🙂
If you glance at the list of ingredients for these Glazed Yogurt Carrot Cookies, you will immediately notice the presence of coconut. The coconut contributes a little something tropical to this cookie. And after a winter that doesn’t seem to want to go away, tropical is good!
You will also notice that the original recipe uses cooked carrots, but I wanted to know what a raw, grated carrot would taste like in this particular carrot cookie. So I tried both variations of the cookie. The taste didn’t change all that much, but the grated version did have a less smooth texture. Personally, I preferred the raw grated carrot cookie’s consistency, and besides, the raw carrot gives you more bang for your buck, nutritionally speaking.
If you recall, I have already used the combination of carrots and coconut in this recipe for my refreshing creamy pineapple coleslaw. I kind of had a feeling that I would like the flavor combination here too, and I did.
Nutrition Tip: You can always get away with making little changes to any recipe to suit your dietary needs and preferences. Take this carrot cookie recipe for example – the original recipe called for 3/4 cup of margarine. I replaced it with 1/3 cup of yogurt, 1/3 cup applesauce and only a 1/3 cup of butter, thereby reducing the total amount of fat.
Origin of Recipe for these Glazed Yogurt Carrot Cookies:
Recently, I was in my dentist’s waiting room, trying to make good use of my time by “surfing” the internet on my i-phone. I discovered a lovely site called Worth Whisking. This carrot cookie recipe especially intrigued me – I thought the combined flavors of orange, carrot and coconut sounded promising! So much so that I wanted to make them as soon as I got home. Thank you Stephanie for the inspiration!
I made a couple of changes to the recipe: As was previously mentioned, I replaced some of the margarine with yogurt and applesauce; I used grated carrots instead of cooked; and I replaced the granulated sugar with brown sugar (I also decreased the total amount of sugar). I was not disappointed with the results. The next time I make this recipe, I will probably replace some of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
This recipe for these Glazed Yogurt Carrot Cookies incorporates coconut and carrots. A weird combination, but you know what? It makes for a terrific carrot cookie!
Glazed Yogurt Carrot Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/3 cup yogurt plain, Greek or fruit
- 1/3 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup medium desiccated unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350℉/175℃. Set rack in the center of the oven.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (of stand mixer), with whisk attachment on high speed, beat the butter with the sugar until light colored. (3-4 minutes) (can also use hand held mixer).
- Add egg and mix well. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add yogurt, applesauce and vanilla. Combine thoroughly.
- With mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Gently combine carrots and coconut.
- With a medium sized scooper, place dough on baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool.
- Glaze if desired.
Thanks for dropping by.
Ciao for now!