Preparing a large quantity of this Easy Vegetable Veal Stew on the weekend ensures a healthy meal and relatively stress free weekday supper.
It has often been said that humans are creatures of habit. In reality, habits are created to help us through our day, especially the weekday. One habit I have maintained for the past couple of decades is to plan and prep my meals for the week, on the week-end, and this veal stew recipe is a perfect one for doing just that! This recipe is also ideal for the busy lifestyle everyone has.
This effort on my part ensures healthy meals and relatively stress-free supper preparation, so that when the famished troops walk through the door, supper is coming out of the oven instead of a take out bag. During the fall and winter months, I always make a large quantity of this Easy Vegetable Veal Stew. Served with noodles, this is a great week day supper and leftovers are convenient for lunches.
Not too too long ago, there was no internet. Remember what that was like? No food blogs, no e-cookbooks, no foodnetwork.com. Recipes were found in magazines and cookbooks and (my personal weekly source of inspiration) the Wednesday Food Section of the Montreal Gazette. That’s where I found this easy veal stew recipe -about fifteen years ago!
Nowadays, I still consult the FOOD section of the Montreal Gazette. The only difference is how convenient it’s become to get a hold of – I just need to jump online. See it for yourself how great it is.
Another one of my go-to recipes, especially in the fall and winter is this Easy White Bean Soup. And guess what? I also found it in the Food Section of the Gazette!
Hope you have fun preparing these meals on the week-end… and have fun surfing!
Easy Vegetable Veal Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 1.2-1.5 kg stewing veal cubed in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 11/2 teaspoon of dried thyme 3-4 sprigs fresh
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 yellow flesh potato cubed
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 2 carrots sliced
- ½ -1 cup frozen peas optional
- On medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pot.
- Add sliced onions and cook until onions begin to soften. Stir occasionally for approximately 10 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, cube veal into 1 inch pieces.
- Remove cooked onions from pot and place in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in pot. Heat for one minute.
- Add cubed veal pieces and brown evenly.
- Sprinkle flour over browned veal pieces and toss until well coated (in the pot). Cook for 1-2 minutes. (Colour of stew will depend on how long you brown the flour with the veal)
- Add the white wine while scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Add chicken broth, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper and cooked onions.
- Cover slightly and simmer gently for about 45 minutes on medium heat.
- Add potato cubes and cook for another 10 minutes or until almost done.
- Add sweet potato cubes and sliced carrots and cook for 5 minutes or until done.
- Add frozen peas a few minutes before serving.
Thanks for dropping by.
Ciao for now!