This recipe for a simple snacking chocolate banana cake is the perfect special treat for your family or friends. With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I thought it would be appropriate to share this moist and tasty chocolate banana cake with all of you.
As an added bonus, this chocolate banana cake recipe comes together in no time at all. With a time investment of just 15 minutes, you will be rewarded with the perfect dessert for your family and friends. You’ll see that once you make and taste this cake, you’ll be making it throughout the year. For those extra special occasions, the chocolate banana cake can be frosted with a chocolate ganache; otherwise, you can serve this simple snacking chocolate banana cake as is.
Just like my recipe for moist and easy banana muffins, this chocolate banana cake is a great recipe to use up those ripe bananas that you might have hanging around the counter. I also love the fact that this recipe can make up to 20 servings and leftovers (if ever there are any) keep extremely well in the fridge.
Nutrition Tip: For those special occasions when you are baking a cake, you can always try to reduce the total amount of sugar required. In most recipes, doing so will barely make a difference in taste. I will usually try to reduce the sugar a ¼ cup at a time. The goal is to achieve a product which is still great-tasting, but slightly less sweet.
Origin of recipe for Simple Snacking Chocolate Banana Cake:
The links on this blog are affiliate links, which means I’ll earn a commission if you use those links (there’s no extra charge to you).
I’ve been making this chocolate banana cake for several years now. The recipe is from one of my favorite websites, Joy of Baking. There are tutorials and how-to videos that are extremely informative. And the recipes always turn out great.
One of the reasons I love this chocolate banana cake recipe is that it uses an oil as the source of fat. That’s why you will find that for this reason, the batter is a little on the thin side. Not to worry, though, the end product has a light texture and the absolute perfect crumb!
And just in case you are wondering if I made any changes to the original recipe, well of course I did! I decreased the total amount of sugar to 1 1/2 cups, and I replaced 1/2 cup of water with coffee (the original recipe calls for 1 cup of water). I will usually replace half the oil with applesauce, but not this time – I had run out of my Easy Homemade Chunky Applesauce. 🙁
As far as desserts go, this recipe for Simple Snacking Chocolate Banana Cake is a delicious, decadent, and deceptively easy treat. Enjoy!
Chocolate Banana Cake
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas about 2 medium
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup warm coffee
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
- 8 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Position rack in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350℉ (175°C) .
- Grease and flour (or use non-stick spray) a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, milk, oil, coffee, water and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until combined.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. (Ensure cake tester or toothpick comes out clean).
- Transfer pan on a wire rack where it can cool down before frosting (if using).
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set aside.
- Over medium heat, heat butter and cream.
- Bring to just under a boil.
- Immediately combine with the chocolate and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together until smooth.
- Spread over cool cake.
Thanks for dropping by,
Ciao for now,
LOVE THIS CHOCOLATE BANANA CAKE RECIPE? PIN IT TO YOUR CAKE BOARD!
Follow She Loves Biscotti for more simple and family friendly recipes 🙂