Holiday baking presents opportunities, not only to try something new, but to also make and remake those recipes that family and friends have come to expect on the cookie platter – like these Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti.
I’ve had this hazelnut biscotti recipe in my biscotti repertoire for over a decade – I live by the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” standard. You know a cookie is good when it is always the first one to disappear from the cookie tray.
ORIGINS OF THE RECIPE FOR CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT BISCOTTI:
I found this hazelnut biscotti recipe in a Canadian Living Holiday Best Magazine (2003). If you make as many cookies during the holiday season as I do, you’ll learn that starting with an easy and easily freezable recipe is all-important, and these chocolate hazelnut biscotti fit the bill. (Actually, so does any biscotti recipe – I’ve already shared with you my favourite recipe for almond biscotti, so feel free to try those out as well!)
So, let’s get ready to bake some hazelnut biscotti this week… I can’t wait 🙂
Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
- 1 cup hazelnuts raw
- 2 3/4 all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
Preheat oven to 325° F. Position rack in the center.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until skins begin to crack. Wrap nuts in a kitchen towel for a few minutes. Rub hazelnuts together to remove skin. Let cool and coarsely chop.
- In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture; stir with wooden spoon until just incorporated (do not over mix).
- Fold in chopped hazelnuts and chopped chocolate.
- Divide dough into quarters. Place each quarter on the cookie sheet, shaping into a log.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until firm to the touch. Transfer to rack and let cool slightly.
- Transfer to cutting board.
- Using a serrated knife, slice cookies at an angle about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick.
- Place slices (standing up) back on the baking sheets, and return them to the oven for about another 30 minutes (the longer they stay in the oven, the crispier they get).
Can be frozen for up to one month.
I have often been asked about the type of cocoa I use...I prefer to use Rodelle baking cocoa (it's available at Costco or amazon).
*recipe lightly adapted from Canadian Living Magazine
Thanks for dropping by,
Ciao for now!
LOVE THIS HAZELNUT BISCOTTI RECIPE? PIN IT TO YOUR BISCOTTI BOARD!
Follow She Loves Biscotti for more simple and healthy recipes 🙂