If you are a lemon lover like me, I’m sure you’ll appreciate this recipe for an Extra Moist Lemony Lemon Loaf. This recipe is a keeper, my friends.
I’m sure you have many recipes which use some part or another of the lemon. Whether it’s the pulp, juice, zest, or peel (as in limoncello), the culinary possibilities are truly endless.
Everyone knows that you can use the juice of a lemon for either sweet or savory dishes. It is also a key ingredient in many alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, such as lemonade. In order to maximize the amount of juice you can obtain from one lemon, which is about 3 tablespoons, make sure it is at room temperature. You can even microwave it for about 15 seconds. I also roll my lemon on the counter top for a few seconds. The pressure allows more juice to be extracted. Cut the lemon in half and with a lemon reamer, extract the juice. You will require quite a bit of lemon juice to make this extra moist and lemony lemon loaf recipe. So, start rolling those lemons…
Lemon zest is also used in this recipe. This is the bright yellow outer layer of the lemon peel. I usually use a micro-plane or a box grater for grating. Make sure you only grate the yellow part as the white pith is extremely bitter.
If ever you have a recipe which does not require the lemon zest, grate it anyway – it freezes really well. You can use it when making salads or soups. It will provide that nice acidic flavor that is sooo refreshing… Remember, first you grate your lemon, then you squeeze it…that way, you’re not wasting anything.
Origins of the Recipe For Extra Moist Lemony Lemon Loaf:
This recipe has been in my possession well over 30 years. It’s a handwritten recipe, and I truly have no idea as to the origin of it. The only thing I know for sure is that you’ll get a little bit of sweetness, a whole lot of tanginess and a melt in your mouth texture, all courtesy of this Extra Moist Lemony Lemon Loaf.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup milk, room temperature
- ½ cup sifted icing sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ (175°C) .
- Grease and flour (or use non-stick spray) a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir in lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (of stand mixer) beat butter on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue beating for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Make sure you scrape the bottom of your bowl.
- Add lemon juice (the batter will curdle).
- Alternate addition of flour and milk (in 2 additions). Mix on low speed until combined. Do not over mix.
- If using add-ins, combine gently at this point.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-75 minutes until golden and cake tester comes out clean.
- Transfer pan to a rack where it can cool down for about 15 minutes.
Thanks for dropping by.
Ciao for now!
Post Update: 2016.11.11