Italian Lemon Knot Cookies; Italian Wedding Cookies; Italian Lemon Cookies; Italian Lemon Drop Cookies; anginetti or more appropriately, tarallucci.
As Shakespeare once said, “What’s in a name?” That famous quote from Romeo and Juliet still rings true today.
It really does not matter what you call them.
They are instantly recognizable.
You can find them throughout the year, mostly at family gatherings and special occasions, especially Christmas. Just like Amaretti and Mostaccioli, these anginetti are, without a doubt, one of the most distinguishable Italian Christmas cookies.
They are a drop cookie that has been formed into a “knot”.
These Lemon Knot Cookies are lightly sweetened and glazed. A quick glance at these cookies and your taste buds can already anticipate that burst of citrus!
It’s simply one of the best Italian Cookies!
Ingredients to make Italian Lemon Cookies:
As usual, the printable recipe card found at the bottom of the page has the specific amounts for each ingredient.
- Flour. All purpose.
- Baking powder. This will help create a light cake-light texture.
- Salt. Just a pinch.
- Eggs. Ensure they are properly whisked.
- Sugar. Provides the right amount of sweetness.
- Vegetable oil. Can also use canola or corn.
- Milk. Just a splash.
- Vanilla extract. If possible, pure.
- Lemon zest. Definitely organic.
- Lemon juice. Naturally organic.
As far as accessories are concerned, a stand mixer (or handheld mixer) ensures the proper combination of the ingredients. A large bowl and whisk is required to combine the dry ingredients.
A medium-sized ice cream scoop comes in handy in order to ensure equal-sized cookies. A cookie sheet covered with parchment paper (or equivalent) is also required.
How to make Italian Lemon Cookies:
The first thing we’re going to do is whisk (or sift) the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set it aside while we start mixing the liquid ingredients together.
Using the whisk attachment of your stand mixture, beat the eggs for a couple of minutes until they are light and frothy. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat for a couple of minutes until the batter is slightly thickened.
Add the oil, milk, extract, zest and juice of the lemons and whisk together for a minute or so. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until properly combined.
With the help of a medium-sized scoop portion and drop on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a four to a five-inch long strand, about half an inch in diameter.
Gently place one end towards the middle, followed by the other end, in a way to slightly overlap each other.
The secret to keeping this dough light and cake light is not over manipulating the dough. That is why these cookies give the illusion of being tied in a knot when in fact they are not.
Once these Italian knots are placed on the parchment lined baking sheet, bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 12-15 minutes. They will puff up so leave at least an inch in between…
Notice the paleness of these cookies before they get glazed.
These lemon cookies have a really soft texture, almost cake-like.
What do you think?
Origins of the Recipe for ITALIAN LEMON COOKIES:
I have always associated these Italian cookies with the holiday season, probably because that is when my Mom would make them. I can still remember how quickly she would shape those “knots” with her fingers barely touching the dough.
That’s probably why everyone loved her cookies, they were so light and airy and so so good.
If you like lemon cookies, I have Another Simple Italian Lemon Cookie Recipe that I think you are going to love. This one is shaped into a twist!
I hope you like both recipes!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the She Loves Biscotti community where you will find Simple & Tasty Family-Friendly Recipes with an Italian Twist.
And if you are new here, welcome! You may want to sign up for my weekly e-mail newsletter. This way, you won’t miss any of my new recipes.
Ciao for now,
★★★★★ If you have made these Italian Lemon Cookies, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
Italian Lemon Knot Cookies
- 4 cups all-purpose flour 568 grams
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200 grams
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 2 lemons organic
- juice of 1 lemon organic
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs until nice and frothy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add sugar. Continue to whisk until well combined and slightly thickened..
- Add the oil, milk, extract, zest and juice of lemon. Combine well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until well combined, dough will be soft.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Position rack to middle.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough with medium-sized cookie scoop and drop on a floured surface.
- Roll into a 4 inch strand about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Shape into a concentric circle, with the ends overlapping.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.
- Glaze cookies before serving.