Do I have a treat for you today!!! A recipe for Lemon Blueberry Scones. Move over muffins, I’m afraid my new baking addiction is scones.
This blueberry scone recipe caught my eye as soon as I saw the list of ingredients, which included cornmeal.
You will taste the cornmeal from the very first bite – but in a good way! It gives such a subtle crunchy texture to these scones. And I don’t think anyone needs to be convinced that lemon and blueberries are an amazing pair. There are countless recipes which highlight these two wonderful flavors.
Perhaps you’re a North American like me, wondering what exactly scones are? (This is definitely not a food from my childhood.) They seem to be popping up on all the menus for breakfast in restaurants in and around the city.
Well, the simplest way I can describe these breakfast scones to you is that they are a type of quick bread, which are lightly sweetened and usually include dried or fresh fruit. There are of course countless variations…always a question of personal taste. Tradition will dictate that scones are triangular in shape.
These bakery style Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Scones are not only great for breakfast and brunch, but they also make for a perfect mid-afternoon snack. Once you try these freshly baked, warm scones, it will change your perspective on life!
………….Well maybe that’s a little too dramatic even for me, but I think you get my point…they are really, really good.
Origins of the recipe for Lemon Blueberry Scones:
I’ve adapted the recipe for these Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Scones from Better Homes and Gardens. The original recipe can be found here.
These are some of the changes I made: I replaced the lime with lemon and I reduced the amount of salt. In the past, I’ve also replaced the lemon glaze with just a sprinkle of coarse sugar before baking. I used the same method of combining the ingredients as I did for my buttermilk biscuits.
It’s always the perfect time to have these Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Scones. Enjoy!!!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the She Loves Biscotti community where you will find Simple & Tasty Family-Friendly Recipes with an Italian Twist.
Ciao for now,
★★★★★ If you have made this Lemon Blueberry Scones recipe, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal fine texture
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablesoons brown sugar packed
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup butter frozen
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup blueberries fresh
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C). Position rack in the center of the oven.
- Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugars, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, toss the blueberries with the cornstarch. Set aside.
- Using a cheese grater, grate frozen butter over dry ingredients.
- Toss gently to incorporate the butter. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Make a well and pour in the liquid mixture.
- Stir until just combined (I use a wooden spoon.)
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- With floured hands, pat the dough into a 7-8 inch round (about 1" thick.)
- Cut into wedges (8-10 wedges)
- Place the scones on parchment paper.
- Bake until fluffy and golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and the icing sugar.
- Once the scones have cooled off, drizzle mixture over scones.
The links on this blog are affiliate links,which means I’ll earn a small commission if you use those links and make a purchase within a certain time frame. The commission is paid by the third-party, there’s no extra charge to you. She Loves Biscotti is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Amazon Associates is an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.