Are you looking for a Baked Cod Fish recipe that happens to be healthy, tasty and quick to make? May I suggest this oreganata style codfish served with your favorite sides? This will quickly become your go-to fish recipe. Supper is served in just 30 minutes!
We’ve all been there… late afternoon meetings, endless traffic on the commute home, and of course that timeless question the minute the famished troops walk in through the front door… when is supper?
With a little bit of planning, a delicious and nutritious meal is not only possible but easy to achieve.
Just like this Italian Cod Recipe with tomatoes, fish recipes are truly the ultimate fast food.
By using a sheet pan, you can cook your vegetables at the same time and in just 30 minutes, your troops will be satisfied.
Let me show you how quickly this Italian fish recipe comes together.
The first thing we need to do is combine the ingredients for the topping.
In a bowl, combine ½ cup of breadcrumbs (or panko), 4-5 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of Italian flat-leaf parsley, 1 tablespoon of dried oregano and 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
This seasoned bread crumb topping takes just a few minutes to come together.
Then, place 4 fresh codfish fillets on a sheet pan. Sprinkle this wonderful topping over the fish.
A final drizzle of olive oil and this easy codfish recipe is done.
It is ready to be baked!
I love to make this a one-pan supper.
Simply add seasonal asparagus and some red and yellow potato creamers from the Little Potato Company (not sponsored), which have been previously parboiled.
A complete meal in under 30 minutes.
Can I use frozen cod?
Yes. Thaw the frozen fish fillet overnight in the refrigerator.
How to tell if your codfish is properly cooked:
Take a peek at the thickest part of the codfish. With a fork or knife, simply split the natural separations of the codfish -this will expose the underlying flesh.
If the flesh has an opaque color and flakes easily, it is done. If the thickest part of the cod flesh is still translucent and does not flake easily, place it back in the oven and continue to bake for a few minutes and test again.
How long to bake codfish at 400°F?
This will usually take about 12-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet.
What kind of fish is similar to cod?
Any skinless firm white fish fillet, such as haddock, pollock, grouper, bass or halibut works well with this recipe.
Look for companies that commit to long term seafood sustainability. A great resource for fish sustainability is Seafood Watch.
Nutrition note: As you’ve probably read, codfish is a great source of high-quality lean protein and has been linked to better heart health. So, incorporating fish in a weekly meal plan makes a lot of sense if you are trying to eat healthier… cue in this baked healthy cod recipe!
- Rinse cod fillets quickly under cold water and pat dry.
- Use the best quality and freshest ingredients.
- Either breadcrumbs or panko works well in this healthy codfish recipe
Healthy Seafood Recipes we love:
- Healthy Tuna Patties
- Coquilles St Jacques
- Seafood Pizza
- Smoked Salmon Pinwheels
- Seafood Salad
- Fish Chowder
- Maple Glazed Salmon
As you can well imagine, growing up Italian meant there were a few customs and traditions to respect.
I think this was particularly true in my upbringing as I was privileged to live with my paternal grandparents. As a result, fish would often make an appearance on the supper table, and always on Fridays… This particular codfish recipe was one of my mom’s signature dishes.
I credit the garlic oregano topping aka cod oreganata.
So if you are looking for a healthy & tasty meatless Monday meal, I would encourage you to try this breaded cod.
Ready in thirty minutes & with the sides!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the She loves biscotti community where you will find Simple & Tasty Family-Friendly Recipes with an Italian Twist.
Ciao for now,
★★★★★ If you have made this Italian-Style baked breaded fish, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
Baked Cod Fish
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs can also use panko
- 2 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley fresh, finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried
- 1 - 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds fish fillets of firm white fish approximately 900 grams, skinless
- salt and pepper according to taste
- extra olive oil for drizzling
- lemon wedges optional
- parsley for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, oregano, and olive oil. Set aside.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray on a baking sheet pan.
- Place the fish fillet on sheet pan and season with salt and pepper according to personal preference.
- Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over fish fillets.
- Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake the fish for 12-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily and turns opaque in color (total time depends on the thickness of the fillet).
- OPTIONAL: Serve with lemon wedges and a sprinkle of parsley.
This post was originally published on Jun 3, 2017 and republished on December 10, 2019 with updated content. Thanks for sharing!