So you took advantage of the beautiful weather we have been having in Southern Quebec by going apple picking and you don’t know what to do with all the red fruit you’ve gathered. Well, you have come to right place. I would like to share my favourite apple recipes with you, starting with my Apple Pie Muffins.
I absolutely love apples. There is something so special about biting into a freshly picked, tart, juicy Mac. The burst of flavour always leaves me speechless. Apples are truly jewels of nature.
When my kids were younger, I used to plan a whole day of activities supporting my obsession with apple picking, hay rides and all. As the kids got older, I realized I was more eager than they were about our yearly pilgrimage to the apple orchards.
Would you believe I still look forward to this time of the year? I never get tired of being in total awe of nature’s bounty. I feel very fortunate to experience these beautiful orchards and grateful to my husband who still supports my fascination with apples after all these years.
Origins of the recipe for Apple Pie Muffins:
There is no lack of recipes for apple muffins. As with all recipes, it really is a question of taste. I’ve adapted my favourite recipe for apple pie muffins from one I found at Food.com. You can find the original recipe here.
I have also included a recipe for a streusal topping, but these apple pie muffins are just as good plain.
Go ahead and try this recipe for Apple Pie Muffins, your whole house will smell like apple goodness!
Apple Pie Muffins
Apple Pie muffins:
- 2½ cups flour all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups apples grated
- 1 cup apples diced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour all purpose
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Position rack to middle.
- Paper line 18 muffin cups.
- Prepare streusel topping (optional) and set aside. See instructions below.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Whisk in the brown sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl,beat egg, oil, applesauce, buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix well. Set aside.
- Grate and chop the apples. Set aside.
- Add the wet mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- Gently fold in the apples (grated and chopped).
- Fill muffin liners 3/4 full. Sprinkle streusel topping over muffin batter (if using).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top bounces back when lightly touched.
To make streusel Topping:
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, oats and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Set aside (to be sprinkled over muffins prior to baking.
Thanks for dropping by.
Ciao for now!
DO YOU LOVE THIS APPLE PIE MUFFIN RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR MUFFIN BOARD!
Follow She Loves Biscotti for more simple and family friendly recipes!
2015.10.14 This post has been updated.