Everyone should have a go-to recipe for Healthy Blueberry Oat Muffins. I know a few of you who would tell me that your go-to muffin is at Costco. Well, I would like to encourage you to go to Costco to buy some blueberries, but believe me when I tell you that you don’t need to rely on them anymore for the perfect breakfast food or mid-morning snack.
Blueberries and oats! A dynamic duo! Irresistible. I was in that kind of a mood this week-end and fortunately, I intercepted the
cookie blueberry monster (who by the way, is my daughter), salvaged one heaping cupful of blueberries, and made these muffins.
Unfortunately, I didn’t have the other ingredient required to make these healthy blueberry oat muffins, buttermilk. I was feeling very comfortable in my pj’s, and reaaaally didn’t feel like going grocery shopping. Thank goodness buttermilk is one of those ingredients that can easily be replaced! Here’s how: measure one tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar and place in a measurement cup. Pour in enough milk on top of it to reach the 1 cup mark. Stir and let stand for at least 2 minutes, so that the acidity can start curdling the milk. I love using buttermilk in pancakes and in biscuits. The end product is always fluffy and I love the “tanginess” of flavor it provides.
ORIGINS OF THE RECIPE FOR HEALTHY BLUEBERRY OAT MUFFINS:
It seems like I’ve been collecting recipes all my life. As a teenager, I used to check out cookbooks from the library and recopy all the recipes that I liked. Can you imagine that?
I’ve adapted the recipe for Healthy Blueberry Oat Muffins from the “Robin Hood Recipe Collection”. I’ve been making this recipe for years and it has always been appreciated by family and friends. I hope it’ll become a tradition in your home, too!
NEVER MISS A POST! BE SURE TO FOLLOW ON:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 cup (heaping) blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400℉/200℃. Position rack to middle.
- Paper line 12 muffin cups.
- Combine oats, and buttermilk in small bowl. Let stand while preparing other ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda,salt and brown sugar. Whisk together. Set aside.
- Add beaten egg, oil and lemon zest to oat mixture. Mix well.
- Add oat mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Fill muffin liners ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-22 minutes or until top bounces back when lightly touched.
The original recipe calls for melted butter, but as you can see, I substituted with vegetable oil.
Thanks for dropping by.
Ciao for now!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT TO YOUR MUFFIN BOARD!
Follow She Loves Biscotti for more simple and healthy recipes 🙂