Here’s How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits so that you get perfect results every single time. All secrets revealed for you to make tender and flaky biscuits.
You really can’t go wrong with this basic biscuit recipe.
Serve them warm from the oven with your favorite topping
It has been years I’ve been making these buttermilk biscuits from scratch.
They are a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Your family and friends will never believe you when you tell them how long it takes to prepare these biscuits. Look at how easy it is:
Once you gather your dough, it’s just a matter of gently rolling it out and cutting it up. Traditionally, you can use a round biscuit cutter, but I find that re-rolling the “leftover” dough creates a tough biscuit. So, I cut them in wedges, just like I did for these Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Scones.
These buttermilk biscuits need to get baked in a really hot oven for just 15 minutes.
Recipes with Buttermilk we Love:
- Buttermilk Waffles
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Espresso Cupcakes
- Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Oatmeal Pancakes
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Irish Soda Bread
- Cheddar Biscuits
- Black Bean Brownies
- Almond Bundt Cake
- Honey Wheat Bread
Origins of these Quick and Easy Biscuits:
I’ve adapted this recipe from Alton Brown, host of the cooking show Good Eats. Thank-you Mr. Brown.
I started freezing the butter after I saw an episode of Chef at Home (with Michael Smith). where he said that freezing the butter was a chef’s secret in obtaining a fluffy biscuit…he is right. Thank you, Chef Michael!
This recipe is also very versatile. Add some chives and cheese and it becomes a savory biscuit, and a few teaspoons of sugar and you have your biscuit for strawberry shortcake. It’s wonderful to have a teaspoon of homemade strawberry jam. These are also the perfect biscuits to have with this Healthy Chunky Vegetable Fish Chowder.
This recipe for buttermilk biscuits will not disappoint.
Have fun with this and enjoy all the wonderful comments your loved ones will make.
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the She loves biscotti community where you will find Simple & Tasty Family-Friendly Recipes with an Italian Twist.
Ciao for now,
★★★★★ If you have made these homemade biscuits, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups flour all-purpose
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter frozen
- 1 cup buttermilk cold
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients.
- Using a cheese grater, grate frozen butter over dry ingredients.
- Toss gently to incorporate the butter.
- Make a well and pour in the cold buttermilk.
- Stir until just combined (I use a wooden spoon).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently 4-5 times and then pat into a 1-1 1/2" thick rectangle or round.
- Cut into rectangles or wedges (this avoids any left over scraps you would get by using a round cutter).
- Place close together on parchment paper.
- Bake until fluffy and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
This post was originally published on October 6, 2015, and republished on February 1, 2020, with updated content and photos. Thanks for sharing!