You will love the simplicity and the nutty flavor of these Whole Wheat Cookies. They are perfectly sweetened with honey and make a great breakfast cookie. As an added bonus, these healthy cookies hold up perfectly when dunked in your hot beverage of choice.
Whole Wheat Cookies
This post was originally published on June 10, 2017 and republished on March 29, 2019 with updated content, photos and a video. Thanks for watching and sharing!
These wholesome, healthy cookies have quickly become one of my favorites.
I use the word wholesome because they are made entirely with whole wheat flour.
Whole wheat flour provides more fiber when compared to white flour. This is due to the fact that whole wheat flour includes the bran, the germ, and the endosperm of the wheat grain. In comparison, white flour only contains the endosperm.
The fact that there is less processing also means the retention of naturally occurring vitamins like folate and riboflavin.
This no knead recipe for Honey Wheat Bread is also made with 100% whole wheat flour.
As was mentioned, these cookies are simple to make and they come together in no time at all.
There is however a waiting period of at least 30 minutes. Not only will this allow for easier manipulation when rolling out the dough, but according to this article in the Kitchn, this rest period will allow the bran and the germ to hydrate and soften a little.
But I am getting ahead of myself, let me show you how this recipe comes together.
What do I need to make Whole Wheat Cookies?
- Egg. We will need only one.
- Honey. A natural sweetener.
- Vegetable Oil. Feel free to use corn or canola.
- Vanilla Extract. So aromatic.
- Whole Wheat Flour. Make sure to use 100% whole wheat flour.
- Baking Powder. The cookies need just a little lift.
- Salt. Just a pinch.
- Orange Zest. Just a hint of citrus.
As far as accessories are concerned, you need a bowl, a whisk, a mixing spoon, a wooden board and a rolling pin. In order to bake the cookies you need a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE WHEAT COOKIES:
In a mixing bowl, whisk together one egg and the honey (4 tablespoons), followed by the vegetable oil (2 tablespoons) and the vanilla extract (1 teaspoon).
Next, add the whole wheat flour (1¼ cups), baking powder (½ teaspoon), pinch of salt and orange zest (½ teaspoon).
The mixture comes together easily.
Form into a ball, wrap the dough with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. As was mentioned, this idle time is crucial for the bran and germ to become soft and this, in turn, makes the task of rolling the dough easier.
With the help of a rolling pin, roll out the dough, on a lightly floured surface, ¼ inch thick. If you prefer crispy wheat cookies, roll your dough thinner, if you prefer softer cookies, roll your dough thicker.
As far as the shape is concerned, you can cut them into any shape you want. Re-roll the trimmings to make more cookies.
If you have an embossed rolling pin, go ahead and use it. You can also create little indentations by gently pressing the top of the cookie with a meat tenderizer.
Place the cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet. These whole grain cookies need to bake for about 12-15 minutes. If you prefer crispy cookies, keep them in the oven a few minutes longer. Remember, to keep an eye on them as they will quickly burn.
The cookies also crisp up nicely as they cool down.
You have just made yourself a batch of these wonderful whole wheat breakfast cookies.
Italian Breakfast Cookies We Love To Dunk:
Origin of the recipe for Whole Wheat Cookies:
This recipe has been floating around the internet since 2013. I’ve had it bookmarked for a couple of years and I am happy that I finally got a chance to make it and share it with all of you. The one modification I made was to add orange zest.
It has quickly become one of my go to “grab and go” breakfast cookies.
These whole wheat flour cookies also make a great snack.
Simple to make, wholesome and truly a great dunking cookie!
Hope you get a chance to try them.
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the She Loves Biscotti community where you will find Simple & Tasty Family-Friendly Recipes with an Italian Twist.
Ciao for now,
★★★★★ If you have made this whole wheat cookies recipe, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
Whole Wheat Cookies
- 1 egg room temperature
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour 195 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and honey.
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract and continue to whisk.
- Add the whole wheat flour, baking powder and orange zest and combine with the help of a mixing spatula.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to roll out the dough, preheat the oven to 375℉ (190°C). Position rack to middle.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Use any cookie cutter to cut out shapes from the dough. Re-roll scrapes.
- Place about 1/2 inch apart on parchment-lined cookie sheet and gently press down with to flatten slightly with a meat pounder (optional).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes or so before transferring to a rack.
The links on this blog are affiliate links,which means I’ll earn a small commission if you use those links and make a purchase within a certain time frame. The commission is paid by the third-party, there’s no extra charge to you. She Loves Biscotti is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Amazon Associates is an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.