This Quick Whole Wheat Honey Bread is made by combining just a few simple ingredients and baked until golden brown. This easy to make, no-knead, no-yeast quick whole wheat bread recipe can be made in less than one hour!
Let me repeat: no yeast, no knead quick whole wheat bread!
Quick breads, like this one, do away with the yeast and instead use baking soda or baking powder (or a combination of both) as the leavening agent to get a quick rise. These foods are considered to be a quick bread – muffins, cornbread, scones, biscuits, loaves… In a way, it’s the fast food version of bread! (Another example of a quick bread is the recipe for Non-Traditional Irish Soda Bread).
Just a few things to consider when making quick breads:
- Make sure your oven is preheated.
- Make sure you sift or whisk together your dry ingredients. This will ensure even distribution of the baking soda or baking powder, which will in turn ensure a uniform rising in your bread.
- Do not over stir; combine wet and dry and stir until moistened…resist the urge to keep stirring.
- The minute you combine your wet and dry ingredients, immediately place the mixture in your pan and in the oven. The “lifting” component of the soda (which is really the carbon dioxide) starts reacting as soon as it’s in contact with the wet ingredients.
Origins of the recipe for Quick Whole Wheat Honey Bread:
This quick whole wheat bread recipe is from my collection of recipe booklets from Robin Hood. I’ve had this recipe for years but I never got around to trying it out until this week. To be honest, I had some whole wheat flour that was expiring in a couple of months and I finally remembered I had tagged this recipe. I’ve already made it 3 times this week. (I had to go buy more whole wheat flour!) As usual, I’ve made a couple of changes: I decreased the amount of salt and I used olive oil in the recipe.
If you are expecting a light airy bread, this is not the recipe you are looking for. This quick whole wheat honey bread provides a crumb which is dense and soft and, you know what, it works! I am enjoying mine right now, toasted and with a little bit of homemade chunky applesauce – yum!
It only takes 5 minutes of prep time and less than one hour in the oven!
Are you ready to try this quick whole wheat bread recipe?
Thanks for dropping by,
Ciao for now!
PS: Have you made this recipe?
If you have made this whole wheat honey bread recipe, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
Thanks so much for following and being part of the She loves biscotti Community. Let’s make some new food memories!
Quick Whole Wheat Honey Bread
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300℉ (150ºC).
- Spray 9" x 5" (2 L) loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a very large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, honey and oil together.
- Combine this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix only until combined with wooden spoon.
- Place batter in a pan.
- Bake for approximately 55 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing bread from pan.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided below is just a rough estimate and variations can occur depending on the specific ingredients used.
*Recipe adapted from Robin Hood
NEVER MISS A POST FROM SHE LOVES BISCOTTI!
JOIN US ON:
DO YOU LOVE THIS WHOLE WHEAT BREAD RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR BREAD BOARD!
Follow She Loves Biscotti for more simple and family friendly recipes!