As I was going through my collection of favorite recipes, I came across this recipe for Italian Egg Drop Soup, also known as Stracciatella in Italian. It brought me right back to the 1990’s.
If you were living in Quebec or Ontario, and of Italian descent, you knew about Chef Pasquale Carpino, the Calabrian opera singing Chef. Chef Pasquale was extremely entertaining to watch. Chef Pasquale was creative, gifted and inspirational. Let me remind you, there was no Food Channel back then. This chef was the real deal.
Origins of the recipe for Italian Egg Drop Soup:
My family and friends know that I cannot walk into a bookstore without walking out with a cookbook. One of the first cookbooks I owned was entitled “La Cucina di Pasquale”. The first recipe I made from this cookbook was the Italian Egg Drop Soup. As you can tell, I got a lot of use out of my first cookbook!
You can make this recipe for Italian Egg Drop Soup in under 20 minutes! Essentially, you start by stir frying some onions, tomatoes and garlic. Then, it’s just a matter of adding some chicken or vegetable broth and letting it simmer for about 10 minutes. After which, you pour some beaten eggs and stir like crazy. I usually make my own broth: after I’ve finished roasting a chicken, I will simmer the bones and skin along with a few celery sticks, carrots, an onion, garlic, thyme and a bay leaf for a couple of hours. Easy and economical.
As in most recipes, there are always variations and this Italian egg drop soup is no exception. I prefer sautéed tomatoes in a chicken broth with some cooked chicken. If you prefer, you can eliminate the chicken and substitute with spinach and noodles. Or you can add some minced scallions or chives. You are only limited by your imagination and whatever you have in your pantry and fridge. Buon appetito !
Italian Egg Drop Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion medium, minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked chicken chopped (optional)
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoon parsley minced
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Sauté onion for 3-4 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute while stirring.
- Add chopped tomatoes and continue to sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add broth and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add chopped chicken (if using).
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly pour slightly beaten eggs into the broth while stirring in a circular motion with a fork for about one minute.
- Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Ladle in soup bowl.
- Top with grated cheese and parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Thanks for dropping by.
Ciao for now!
2016-03-06 post was updated