There’s nothing like a lazy Sunday morning breakfast, especially when these Light Fluffy Crispy Buttermilk Waffles are being served.
I already know what you’re thinking, another buttermilk recipe, really? Well, I apologize in advance…but, in my defense…just look at them. What’s there not to love?
Even more spectacular is the taste. I’ve tried buttermilk-less recipes, and I think they all have a noticeable aftertaste. So, you can be sure that if there’s a recipe which calls for buttermilk, it’s immediately placed in my “to do” folder. The minute I tried this recipe it became my go-to for light fluffy crispy buttermilk waffles.
My upbringing as an Italian-Canadian (sometimes it felt more like a Canadian-Italian) did not include waffles. As a kid, my siblings and I would occasionally have the commercial brand whenever my mom would “give in” to our tantrums (probably watched too many commercials as a kid, I guess). It was only when I became a mother that I was totally grateful to all the times my mom said no to the frozen “Eggo”. Have you ever taken a minute to read the nutritional label of this frozen food? Well, I did and once I began to understand the effects of processed foods on our bodies, I decided on the spot to make an effort to eat healthier. Highly processed usually means a lot of salt, chemicals and harmful fats.
You’re looking at this and thinking “I just don’t have the time”. Well, that was also my thought process. But you know what, they’re ready in less than 30 minutes. I usually measure the dry ingredients the night before, making the whole process quicker in the morning. They also freeze very well so you can also enjoy them during the week, as a snack or as a light supper.
Origins of the recipe for Light Fluffy Crispy Buttermilk Waffles:
I’ve adapted this recipe from Martha Stewart Living, with one modification. I’ve substituted the butter with vegetable oil. On occasion, I’ve also replaced up to half the amount of all purpose flour with whole wheat flour- depending who I’m making it for.
I love to serve these light fluffy crispy buttermilk waffles with lots of fruit and a dusting of powdered sugar. How do you like to top off your waffles?
Light Fluffy Crispy Buttermilk Waffles
- 2 cups flour all purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs separated (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- non-stick spray
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Whisk in the brown sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks,oil,buttermilk,and vanilla. Gently combine with dry mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites to batter.
- Heat waffle iron. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Pour about 1/4 - 1/3 cup for each waffle. (I use a large serving ladle and drop the batter in the middle of the waffle iron).
- Cook 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and transfer to oven to keep warm (set oven to 200℉/93℃).
- Serve with your favourite toppings.
Special equipment required: waffle iron 1 serving = 1 waffle Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided below is just a rough estimate and variations can occur depending on the specific ingredients used. *adapted from Martha Stewart
Thanks for dropping by,
Ciao for now!
LOVE THIS POST? PIN IT TO YOUR BREAKFAST BOARD!
Follow She Loves Biscotti for more simple and family friendly recipes 🙂