These Crispy Italian Oven Roasted Garlic Potatoes will quickly become one of your favorite side dishes. These roasted garlic potatoes are perfect for every day fair or holiday entertaining. Crispy on the outside; tender on the inside.
Roasted Garlic Potatoes
It happens every. single. time.
It is, however, reassuring to know that I am not alone. At least, I don’t think I am…
I am, of course referring to the fact that every time I visit a farmers’ market, I get a little excited and carried away.
I mean, how can you resist pumpkins with warts?
So, when I visited Atwater Market, a local Montreal farmers’ market, my intentions of not buying literally everything escaped me. Thank goodness my husband and son were present to help carry all the wonderful fruits and vegetables we purchased.
Hopefully… eventually… some of these season appropriate vegetables will make it to the blog. I say this as I am thinking of the two (yes, two!) five pound bag of beets which have been temporarily parked in my cold room. I must get to those before the end of the week.
But today… today, my friends we are talking spuds. In the past, I have already shared a few potato recipes with all of you.
These Potato Croquettes are, without a doubt, one of my all-time favorites. Did you know they could be made with leftover mashed potatoes? This is truly a great recipe!
Another family favorite are these Garlic Smashed Potatoes. What can I say except we love crispy oven roasted potatoes.
The good news is that I have yet another recipe to share with all of you! If you have ever wondered how to roast potatoes, this is the recipe for you! The combination of garlic, potatoes and lots and lots of herbs makes it the perfect side dish.
There are literally thousands of potato varieties available. I am sure you know by your own experience that certain types of potatoes lend themselves better to specific methods of cooking. That is because potatoes have different textures.
This sliced roasted potatoes recipe requires red potatoes.
As you probably know, red potatoes:
- have a waxy and firm texture;
- will stay firm and retain their shape through out the roasting time and
- have a full flavor with a hint of sweetness.
This is the spud for us today! Are you ready to make the best garlic roasted potatoes?
How to make Italian Oven Roasted Garlic Potatoes:
The whole process begins by peeling and soaking the sliced red potatoes. Cut them in quarters if they are large or in half if they are medium sized.
While the red potatoes are soaking we can get started on chopping up all the wonderful herbs that we will need for this recipe… rosemary, parsley, sage and lots and lots of garlic. We are making roasted garlic potatoes after all 😉 If you like heat, the addition of chili pepper is a must.
Speaking of heat, we need to turn on the oven to 425° F (220° C). Place one oven grate at the bottom and one in the middle. We will also need a roasting pan large enough to fit all the potatoes in a single layer.
Another must is a high quality olive oil. So, once the soaking period is done, drain and pat dry the potatoes. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the olive oil, herbs and spices.
Make sure the potatoes are well coated with these wonderful herbs, spices and olive oil.
Next, drizzle a little olive oil at the bottom of the roasting pan and brush it across the entire surface. Arrange the potato halves (or quarters) in a single layer, flat side down. In the oven they go… 15 minutes at 425° F (220° C) to begin with. The heat then needs to be lowered to 375° F (190° C) for another 35-45 minutes or so.
During the last 5 minutes, transfer the pan to the middle of the oven and turn on the heat to broil. Now, at this point you need to keep an eye on these potatoes in the oven. We want crispy roasted garlic potatoes not burnt ones.
When they appear golden and crispy, they are done! Remove the pan from the oven and allow them to stand for a good 5 minutes. Almost magically, the oil will be re-absorbed in the potato… I bet you can’t wait to taste that roasted garlic potatoes goodness!
If you like red skin potato recipes, you must try this Italian Potato Salad.
Origins of the recipe for Crispy Italian Oven Roasted Garlic Potatoes:
This simple side dish was a family favorite when I was growing up. It would often be served with fish, Italian roast chicken or veal scaloppini. Just like these Potato Croquettes, these oven roasted red potatoes would quickly disappear from the supper table. I can remember more than one argument with my siblings as to who got to eat the last potato…
My mom would only use garlic, fresh parsley and oregano when making these roasted garlic potatoes. I love to add fresh sage and rosemary, so I’ve included these wonderful herbs in the recipe and with great results.
Simple and wholesome ingredients for a tasty and simple side dish.
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the She Loves Biscotti community where you will find Simple & Tasty Family-Friendly Recipes with an Italian Twist.
Ciao for now,
★★★★★ If you have made this Italian Roasted Potatoes recipe, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
Crispy Italian Oven Roasted Garlic Potatoes
- 4 large or 8 medium red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon rosemary fresh and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Italian flat leaf parsley fresh and finely chopped
- 3 sage leaves fresh and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano dried
- a few pinches of chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil for drizzling bottom of roasting pan
- If desired garnish with more fresh herbs.
- Peel and cut potatoes (cut in half if medium or in quarters if large).
- Soak potatoes in large bowl of cold water for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C).
- Place one oven grate at the bottom and one in the middle of the oven.
- Brush bottom of roasting pan with olive oil. Set aside.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and pat dry.
- In a large bowl combine all the herbs and spices.
- Toss properly together with the potatoes.
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer, with cut side down in roasting pan.
- Place on the bottom grate and roast for 15 minutes.
- Lower heat to 375° F (190° C) and continue to roast for another 35-45 minutes or so. No need to turn the potatoes over.
- During the last 5 minutes, transfer the pan to the middle of the oven and turn on the heat to broil.
- Remove from oven and wait a few minutes for the oil to be reabsorbed by the potatoes.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
The links on this blog are affiliate links,which means I’ll earn a small commission if you use those links and make a purchase within a certain time frame. The commission is paid by the third-party, there’s no extra charge to you. She Loves Biscotti is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Amazon Associates is an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.