Calling all mint chocolate lovers! This Easy Dark Chocolate Marshmallow Peppermint Fudge recipe will literally take your breath away. You will be left with an unbelievable minty aftertaste.
So, here we go! With both Canadian and American Thanksgiving behind us, we can now focus on all the festivities associated with the month of December. I, for one, am definitely in the cookie and special treats mode, and I have the feeling that it will last for at least a couple more weeks.
It has been my experience that the most popular cookie trays always include fudge. It’s a confection that is loved by both young and old. Today, I would like to share a super easy fudge recipe with all of you.
All you have to do is combine half of the ingredients and allow them to simmer together for a few minutes; then you mix in the rest of the ingredients, pour into a prepared pan, refrigerate and you’re done!
Origin of the recipe for Peppermint Fudge:
It’s back to my out-of-date publication of Homemaker Magazine for this recipe. This Easy Dark Chocolate Marshmallow Peppermint Fudge originally intrigued me due to the inclusion of marshmallows as part of the ingredients and the exclusion of a candy thermometer. Oh, and the fact that I cannot resist a minty chocolate treat.
The original recipe called for milk chocolate, which I substituted with dark chocolate; I also used 2% evaporated milk instead of the regular. The end result is still creamy and rich.
It has been well over a decade that I started including these little delectable mouthfuls in my holiday cookie platter. I can still remember the first time I shared this mint confection with my sister. When I first told her what they were, she immediately asked me for a glass of milk. My sister told me that her favorite way of eating mint chocolate is by drinking milk immediately after eating the fudge. And then a slight inhale to get the full freshness effect of the mint. You have to give this a try!
Nothing beats the minty freshness of this Easy Dark Chocolate Marshmallow Peppermint Fudge, especially with a glass of milk!
Easy Dark Chocolate Marshmallow Peppermint Fudge
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk I use 2%
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups marshmallows miniature
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips dark
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies optional
- Line the inside of an 8 inch square pan with waxed paper; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt.
- Over medium heat, bring to a rolling boil while stirring constantly.
- Let the mixture boil for 4-5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Immediately add the marshmallows, chocolate chips, vanilla and peppermint extracts.
- Stir the mixture until the marshmallows and chocolate are melted.
- Immediately pour the mixture in the prepared pan.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes over the top and gently press into the surface.
- Chill for a few hours or until firm.
- Remove from pan and cut into 1" squares.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 1 week.
Thanks for dropping by,
Ciao for now,