This tested-until-perfect, Honey Spice Cake recipe will provide you with a flavorful, moist and perfectly sweetened honey cake. Even if you don’t celebrate Rosh Hashanah, you should make this dessert!
I grew up with the belief that fresh is always better. But as in most things, there are exceptions… take this recipe for Banana Muffins, for instance. They become really flavorful and super moist the following day. The fact that Roasted Bananas are used in the recipe is a contributing factor.
This old fashioned spice cake also can transform itself into the perfect treat to have with a cup of coffee or tea or even an espresso… the next day!
How to Make Honey Spice Cake:
As far as the recipe is concerned, nothing could be easier. The title should be modified to Easy Cake Recipe from Scratch since all that is required are two bowls and a whisk.
In the first bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients namely the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.
Did you know I have an Allspice Recipe that mimics the real spice? It’s handy to know how to make a homemade version just in case you run short!
In the second bowl, the liquid ingredients get whisked together. If you are thinking this method is similar to that of making muffins, you would be right.
Pro-tip: Whenever using honey in a recipe, always measure the oil beforehand as this will allow the honey to easily pour out of the measuring cup.
Next, create a well in the bowl with the dry ingredients and slowly add the liquid ingredients, while whisking the two together.
Whisk only until the batter comes together. You will notice that the batter will be on the thin side.
Pour into a greased bundt pan and bake in a pre-heated oven at 350° F for one hour.
How to remove a bundt cake from the pan:
- Before any attempt to unmold the cake, the cake needs to cool off, on a wire rack, for about twenty minutes as any attempt to unmold the cake beforehand might result in the cake breaking apart or sticking to the pan.
- To unmold, place a large plate or another cooling rack over the top and quickly invert the pan.
- Then, simply lift and remove the pan. TA-DAH!
The final result is a baked good that fills your whole kitchen with a sweet and spicy aroma and one that you will make again and again.
Why this Recipe works:
The spices, combined with the honey and coffee, create a wonderful mellow taste, and the moistness of this easy cake recipe from scratch is simply out of this world.
HELPFUL HINTS on How to Make a Moist Cake:
- Do not over bake your cake as this is guaranteed to result in a dry cake. As all ovens are different, check your cake by conducting a “skewer test” five minutes before the end of the recommended baking time.
- Use an oven thermometer to confirm the real oven temperature. You would be surprised to learn that there may be variations that exist between what you set your oven dial to and the actual temperature in the oven.
Baking with Honey Recipes we love:
Origins of Honey Spice Cake Recipe:
Some people collect coins or stamps. Others will collect comic books or baseball cards, and still others key chains, bottle caps or even rocks. My obsession was and continues to be, collecting recipes.
Was I the only one that would send away the UPC label to get a free recipe booklet?
Does anyone remember those?
I was continuously on the lookout for such booklets… and still to this day, I have them in my possession.
During the 90’s and beyond, Robin Hood was one company that produced such booklets. They would often include these little recipe booklets as inserts to popular magazines (I just recently ended my 25-year subscription to Canadian Living …so yeah, I have more than a few of these little booklets).
The recipe I am sharing with all of you today is one that I have adapted from the 2002 Quick and Easy Baking Recipes. The original recipe was called Honey of a Honey Cake.
I have been making this recipe for over 10 years, with the following changes:
- decreased the amount of granulated sugar by ½ cup and
- replaced ¼ cup of oil with Homemade Applesauce.
Apart from the catchy title, I loved the fact that it uses vegetable (or canola) oil rather than butter -that’s always a plus in my books 🙂
Make this Bundt your own by:
- adding a handful of finely chopped or grated apples;
- adding a handful of raisins (coat them with a little flour to prevent them from sinking) or
- dress it up by drizzling it with your favorite glaze.
This is a great recipe to work with!
With the advent of the internet, there is no need to use such extreme recipe-collecting means anymore. You have access to thousands of recipes in just a few seconds.
What a wonderful thing!
But those older recipes that I’ve made dozens of times will always have a special place in my heart.
To all of you celebrating… Shanah Tovah ♥
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the She Loves Biscotti community where you will find Simple & Tasty Family-Friendly Recipes with an Italian Twist.
Ciao for now,
★★★★★ If you have made this Honey Spice Cake recipe, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
Honey Spice Cake
- 3½ cups flour all-purpose (500 grams)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup coffee or strong tea lukewarm
- icing sugar to dust on cake optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour (or use non-stick spray) a 10-inch bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients (except the sugar). Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the eggs for 2-3 minutes. Alternatively, can use hand held beaters or stand mixer.
- Add the sugar and continue to whisk together for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, whisk in the oil, followed by the applesauce, orange juice, honey and coffee. Make sure to properly whisk together.
- Make a well in the dry ingredient and slowly whisk in the liquid ingredients. Mixture will be thin and runny.
- Pour batter in the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 55-65 minutes or until cake tester comes out dry.
- Cool in pan for about 20 minutes on wire rack; invert to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
HELPFUL HINTS on How to Make a Great Bundt Cake:
- Make sure to properly grease and flour your pan.
- Do not over bake your cake as this is a guaranteed to result in a dry cake. As all ovens are different, check your cake by conducting a "skewer test" five minutes before the end of the recommended baking time.
- Use an oven thermometer in order to confirm the real oven temperature. You would be surprised to learn that there may be variations that exist between what you set your oven dial to and the actual temperature in the oven.
- Whenever using honey in a recipe, always measure the oil beforehand as this will allow the honey to easily pour out of the measuring cup.
- Prepare a day in advance to allow the flavors to develop.
This post was originally published on October 2nd, 2016 and republished on August 30, 2018, with updated content, photos, and a video.