The ratio of Parmesan cheese to breadcrumbs in these Baked Zucchini Sticks creates the perfect crispy texture. You won’t believe they are not fried!
My experience, after having cooked for my family, and after having worked in a kitchen, for decades really, is this: people love fries.
These Zoo Sticks are not fries. But they look like fries. And as such, people will reach for them.
So, sit back and enjoy the look on their faces when they realize they accidentally just ate something healthy and delicious!
You won’t believe how easy they are to make!
Let me show you…
How to make Baked Zucchini Sticks:
The first thing that needs to be done is to cut up your zucchini. I will usually cut my zucchini into 3 x 1/2-inch sticks, but actually, the size doesn’t matter so much, as long as they are all the same size. This is so that all the zucchini sticks cook at the same rate.
Then you need to set up three shallow pans as follows:
In the first plate, whisk together the flour and garlic powder.
In the second plate, beat the eggs with the milk.
In the third plate, combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Then it is just a matter of dredging each zucchini stick in the flour, dipping them in the egg mixture, and coating them with the bread crumb mixture. If you prefer, you can substitute the breadcrumbs with panko.
Place your coated zucchini sticks on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated oven. While they are baking, why not make a dipping sauce to serve with these Baked Parmesan Encrusted Zucchini Sticks? A favorite in my household is a Simple Marinara Sauce.
And there you have it, a great zucchini recipe to have as a side or an appetizer!
As far as the nutritional value of zucchini is concerned, it truly is a powerhouse. It’s a great source of Vitamin A, C, and the B complex vitamins; it is high in fiber and low in calories. You truly cannot go wrong with this vegetable.
Origins of the recipe for Baked Zucchini Sticks:
I apologize in advance if I seem to be sharing a lot of zucchini recipes lately, but my backyard is absolutely exploding with them nowadays. Maybe you’re in the same situation. How are you dealing with it? What are you making with your zucchini?
I found the inspiration for this recipe on Pinterest. One of the pins I stumbled upon brought me to one of my favorite sites: Jo Cooks.
Joanna uses panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and eggs to coat the zucchini sticks before they get baked. I decided to use a combination of flour, egg, breadcrumbs and lots of herbs, which was one of my mom’s favorite flavor combination to use with vegetables.
These Zucchini strips are a wonderful way to enjoy summer zucchini.
Drop me a line if you have another favorite zucchini recipe – I’d love to try them all out!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the She Loves Biscotti community where you will find Simple & Tasty Family-Friendly Recipes with an Italian Twist.
Ciao for now,
★★★★★ If you have made these breaded zucchini sticks, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
Baked Zucchini Sticks
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups bread crumbs can also use panko
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley fresh , minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano fresh , minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pre-heat oven to 425℉.
- Cut zucchini into 3 x 1/2-inch sticks.
- Prepare 3 shallow plates or bowls.
- In the first plate, whisk together the flour and garlic powder.
- In the second plate, beat the eggs with the milk.
- In the third plate, combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Coat each zucchini stick with flour, followed by a dip in the egg wash and finally rolled lightly in the bread crumb mixture.
- Place each zucchini stick on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Continue this process for all of the zucchini sticks.
- Bake at 425℉ for about 25-30 minutes. Turn them over after 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite sauce.