Anyone that has zucchini plants growing in their backyard knows you do not need to have a green thumb to get a bumper crop of zucchini! Don’t know what to do with your bountiful harvest? How about making this simple and unbelievably tasty recipe for Italian Style Sauteed Onion and Zucchini Rounds.
It all begins with some caramelized onions. Then it is just a matter of adding some garden-fresh zucchini, some herbs and some spices. A quick sauté, and you’re done! In less than 20 minutes, you can be enjoying this healthy side dish of sauteed zucchini.
If you still have a lot of zucchini leftover, may I suggest giving it away to your neighbor in honor of Sneak Some Zucchini onto your Neighbor’s Porch Day!
……..Yes. Really. There is such a day. And according to this resource, August 8th , is that day. One can only assume that this movement was started because zucchini is truly easy to grow and provides such a bountiful harvest.
Easy Zucchini recipes we love:
So it’s back to my Italian-Canadian upbringing for this sauteed zucchini and onions recipe. I’ve already mentioned how I grew up in a household where certain meals were set for certain days of the week.
For example, Tuesday and Thursday suppers as well as Sunday lunch was reserved for pasta dishes. No exceptions. Ever.
This recipe for Italian Style Sauteed Onion and Zucchini Rounds was part of the line-up for Friday suppers, which back then were always meatless (I’ve already shared with you another favorite of mine, Cacio e Uova Meatless Recipe).
I vividly remember my Mom making this Italian zucchini dish. She would always have two pans going… there were many mouths to feed… When these fantastic vegetables (onions) and fruit (zucchini) attained their golden perfection, a few well-beaten eggs were gently stirred in. The final addition would be a generous addition, and I mean a GENEROUS addition of Parmesan cheese.
Absolutely, over the top!
When I am making this recipe as a side dish, I will omit the addition of the eggs. If, on the other hand, I am making this recipe for brunch or a light lunch, I will add the eggs and make a frittata. The addition of the beaten eggs to the zucchini and onions is, of course, totally optional.
And there you have it, sauteed zucchini and onions –another simple and tasty recipe to use up all that wonderful zucchini.
I’m curious to know, are you planning to Sneak Some Zucchini onto your Neighbor’s Porch?
If you haven’t already joined, here is the link where you can sign up for my weekly e-mail newsletter. This way, you won’t miss any of my new recipes and it’s free!
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the She Loves Biscotti community where you will find Simple & Tasty Family-Friendly Recipes with an Italian Twist.
Ciao for now,
★★★★★ If you have made this easy zucchini recipe, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
Italian Style Sauteed Onion and Zucchini Rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion sliced thinly
- 3-4 small zucchini thinly sliced (about 1 pound)
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs room temperature, slightly beaten (optional)
- 1/4 -1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- more oregano for garnishing
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until just beginning to caramelize, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add sliced zucchini, garlic, and spices.
- Saute, while stirring and shaking the pan frequently, until golden brown. This should take between 4-7 minutes. Zucchini should be cooked, but still be crisp.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Add the eggs and cook over medium heat. Stir and shake the pan for 2-3 minutes until the egg is cooked.
- Add cheese and gently combine.
- Transfer to serving dish.
- Garnish with extra oregano.
- Serve immediately.