Are you looking for the best zucchini appetizer? Whether you bake them in the oven or in an air fryer, you are going to love these Baked Zucchini Sticks.
My experience, after having cooked for my family, and after having worked in a food service department for decades really, is this: people love fries.
These “zoo sticks” are not fries.
But they look like fries.
And as such, your friends and family will reach for them, especially if you serve them with a dipping sauce.
Enjoy the look on their faces when they realize they accidentally just ate something healthy and delicious!
The best part is that you won’t believe how easy these parmesan roasted zucchini are to make!
Let’s begin by chopping up this wonderful vegetable.
Mise en place
There’s a little bit of chopping in this recipe. So grab your sharpest knife because you are going to need it!
Prep the zucchini: Properly rinse 3-4 medium-sized zucchini under running water. Trim off the ends. Cut in half. Cut again in half (lengthwise) and finally into ½-inch sticks. Depending on the size, you should have 12-16 pieces. Leave the peel on.
Prep the other ingredients: Mince 2 tablespoons of fresh Italian parsley, 1 teaspoon of fresh oregano, and 1-2 garlic cloves. You also need to grate ½ cup of either Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Cheese.
Set up three shallow pans as follows:
- In the first pan, sift or whisk ⅓ cup of flour.
- Whisk 2 eggs with 1 tablespoon of milk and the minced garlic in the second pan.
- In the third pan, combine 1 cup of panko crumbs, ½ cup of parmesan cheese, Italian flat-leaf parsley (2 tablespoons), fresh oregano (1 teaspoon), and paprika (½ teaspoon). Add salt and pepper to taste.
Dredge each piece lightly in the flour. Shake off excess and place in another bowl. Continue until all the pieces have a light dusting of flour.
Next, dip them in the egg wash, and finally, roll them around in the panko mixture.
Place the zucchini sticks on the air fryer basket or on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
For oven: Bake at 425℉ (220°C) for about 25-30 minutes. Turn them over after 15 minutes.
For Air Fryer: Air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 15 minutes.
Drizzle a little lemon juice and garnish with minced parsley and freshly grated cheese over the top.
As far as the nutritional value of zucchini is concerned, it truly is a powerhouse. It’s a great source of Vitamin A, C, and B complex vitamins; it is high in fiber and low in calories. You truly cannot go wrong with this vegetable. [source]
- Cut the pieces the same size so that they cook evenly.
- As long as the total quantity of fresh herbs is respected, feel free to replace them with your preference.
- Baking temperatures for the air fryer are just a guideline; make sure to consult your manual.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes. Replace both the flour and the panko with a gluten-free product.
Can I serve this as a side dish?
Easy zucchini recipes we love
If you are looking for more delicious zucchini recipes, try any of these Italian recipes: sauteed zucchini, zucchini fritters, zucchini with eggs , or this easy-to-make zucchini frittata -your family will love them all! I also have a recipe for pizza with zucchini! If you are looking for something to satisfy your sweet tooth, make sure you try these zucchini muffins or this healthy zucchini bread recipe.
Would you believe I found the inspiration for this recipe on Pinterest?
Although I love to use the classic Italian method of dredging in flour, egg wash, and herbed breadcrumbs, I was recently testing out my new air fryer and preferred to make this recipe with panko.
They are almost just as crispy as this parmesan roasted cauliflower recipe and these roasted potatoes, also baked in my air fryer. You won’t believe how crispy they are! Another family favorite is air frying eggplant, especially in the summer.
I also love to use lots of fresh herbs, which was one of my mom’s favorite ways to enhance flavors.
These baked parmesan zucchini sticks are a wonderful way to enjoy this vegetable throughout the year.
Do you have a favorite zucchini recipe – I’d love to hear about it!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you are interested, the air fryer I am using is the Breville Smart Toaster Oven. Head on over to my amazon store for all the details.
THANKS SO MUCH for following and being part of the She Loves Biscotti community where you will find Simple & Tasty Family-Friendly Recipes with an Italian Twist.
Ciao for now,
★★★★★ If you have made these parmesan roasted zucchini sticks, I would love to hear about it in the comments below and be sure to rate the recipe!
Baked Zucchini Sticks (Oven or Air Fryer)
- 3 medium zucchini
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup panko can also use breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Cheese freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley Italian flatleaf, fresh, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano fresh , minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice Optional
- additional grated cheese and minced parsley for garnish
- If using the oven, preheat to 425°F (220°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper. If using an air fryer, preheat to 400° F (200°C).
- Rinse the zucchini and trim off the ends. Leave the peel on.
- Cut in half. Cut again in half, lengthwise and finally into ½-inch sticks. Depending on the size, you should have 12-16 pieces.
- Prepare 3 shallow plates or bowls.
- In the first plate, whisk or sift the flour.
- In the second plate, whisk the eggs with the milk and the minced garlic.
- In the third plate, combine panko, cheese, parsley, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Coat each zucchini stick lightly with flour, followed by a dip in the egg wash and finally rolled lightly in the panko mixture.
- Place each zucchini stick on the parchment-lined baking sheet or air fryer basket.
- Continue this process for all of the zucchini sticks.
- For oven: Bake at 425℉ (220°C) for about 25-30 minutes. Turn them over after 15 minutes.For Air Fryer: Air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite sauce.
- Cut the zucchini the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Baking temperatures for the air fryer is just a guideline, make sure to consult your manual.
This post was originally published on September 4, 2016, and republished on January 31, 2020, with updated content and photos. Thanks for sharing!